Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Favorite Cheesecake Recipe

Some people like chocolate, others like pie, I eat cheesecake and I am happy. I don't eat store bought cheesecake, granted I have eaten grocer and bakery bought cheesecake in my time, BUT the best cheesecake that I ever had was made by my mom. 

Growing up mom made cheesecake all year round. The basic recipe allows you to top it with a variety of fruits, and in the fall and winter months, mom would make caramel and chocolate sauce and drizzle the sauces over the cake then top with roasted slivers of almonds or sugar coated pecans. Then add a dollop of freshly whipped cream and oh my gosh it was like biting into a slice of heaven



When my mom passed away it seemed that her recipes went with her. Then the other day I was going through a storage box and found my mother's recipe book. I was delighted to find her cheesecake recipe. 



The recipe that I share with you is one I found in my mother's recipe cards. The date on the card is 1968 and this is the same delicious dessert that my mother made when I was growing up.  On the bottom of her recipe card there is a special instruction; make the cheesecake the day before for best results and garnish with any fruit before serving.

Know that cheesecake is a wonderfully delicious sweet treat and the perfect ending to the evening meal.



Here is what you will need to make this recipe:

2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
1 package lemon jello
1 cup hot water
1 can carnation evaporated milk



  1. With your mixer cream the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla ingredients together until all are blended
  2. Mix the jello and water together and then let set until it thickens.  Add jello to cream cheese batter and use a beat until all ingredients are blended.
  3. Chill another large mixing bowl along with your beater in the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove when chilled and then add 1 can carnation evaporated milk / approximately 1 2/3 cups to the bowl and whip. Continue to beat the milk until it is thick like whipped cream.
  4. Fold the whipped cream into the cheese batter.
  5. Pour the cheesecake batter into 2 ready-made graham pie crusts.
  6. Refrigerate a day before serving.



So there you have it an easy and delicious cheesecake dessert for your family.

Here is an easy recipe for caramel sauce.


Learn how to make sugar coated pecans for your autumn or winter cheesecake


No comments: