Saturday, November 8, 2014

Recipe for Herbal Soap

In the autumn season I will harvest a variety of aromatic herbs to use in my wreaths and for making soap.  

I am not a soap expert as I have only been making herbal soap for the last two years.  However I like that is is another way that I can put good use to my herbs that I grow.  I really love aromatic herbal soaps because the scent is refreshing in the bathroom and in the kitchen.

  You can make herbal soap anytime of the year but for me I usually make in the autumn season because that is when I harvest my herbs.




You will need the following:
  1. A glass microwave bowl
  2. Dried herb leaves and flowers 
  3. Buy from craft store, plain glycerin soap.
  4. A grater to shave the glycerin soap or you can cut soap with sharp knife
  5. Buy essential oils to add fragrance to your soap. (Example I am making Chocolate mint soap. I will use chocolate and peppermint essential oil.) I am hoping the finish product will have the scent of a peppermint patty. 
  6. Soap molds
  7. Wood mixing spoon and rubber spatula

For one bar of glycerin herbal soap you would do the following;
  1. Grate or cut the soap finely
  2. Melt the soap shavings in a microwave bowl for 30 seconds on high, Stir with wooden spoon and repeat for another 30 seconds until the soap is completely melted.
  3. When the glycerin soap is melted, remove from the heat and set aside.
  4. Add 1 tablespoon of dried aromatic chopped herb leaves and flowers (you choose the herbs that you want to use). Also add 1 teaspoon of essential oil. 
  5. Mix the liquid soap and herbs and essential oil with wooden spoon. 
  6. Spray your soap molds with Crisco olive oil.
  7. When soap and dried herbs are blended you would then pour into soap molds. 
  8. Use your rubber spatula to remove the soap from the bowl.
  9. Set the soap mold on the counter for thirty minutes to allow it to harden at room temperature.

Complete the soap hardening with a cold process. Put the soap mold in the freezer for twenty five minutes. Remove the soap from the freezer and remove from the soap mold.
Set the soap on wax paper and allow it to continue to harden in a cool dry place for 24 hours.
Note: If I am going to give the soap as a gift I will add the herbal flowers as a whole toward the top of the soap because they look pretty.

View how to make Lavender herbal soap on YouTube


Homemade soap image credit: Pixabay public domain: http://pixabay.com/en/piece-of-soap-wash-foam-soap-97467/

No comments: