My mom and dad loved peaches and when I was a kid I remember our peach trees. Dad would have to support the branches because there was so much fruit. Every summer when the peaches were ripe we would all take the bushel baskets and helped our parents harvest the peaches for our Elberta trees.
I grew up eating my moms peach bake goods. My mom made cobblers that were wonderful but the fresh peach pie was my favorite. If the peach harvest was great we would have peach pie or peach preserves on Thanksgiving served with side of homemade ice cream. If you are like me and love peach pie then I know you will enjoy my favorite recipe. The one I share with you is one that has been passed down, it is a basic recipe that makes delicious pies.
Making pie with fresh fruit ,means that you have to allow time to get the peaches ready for pie. You will have to remove the skin from the peaches, then slice in half to remove the seed before you can cut them in half inch slices, then cut those slices in half for fresh peach pie.
The following ingredients are needed for one 9 inch pie.
8 large ripe peaches.
½ a cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ cup of flour
Recipe for pie
- In a large mixing bowl add the sliced peaches, then the brown sugar and mix with spoon. Then add the granulated sugar, cinnamon and flour. Mix again so that there is a coating of the flour on the peaches. Let the peaches set for 15 minutes.
- Turn the fresh peach pie filling into your pie crust, spread out the peaches so that they fill in the crust evenly.
- Top the peaches with another pie crust and pinch the lower crust into the upper crust on the sides. Seal the sides well so the juices do not come out the sides when baking.
- Insert a knife blade in the freezer for 10 minutes, then use this cold knife to make slits in the upper pie crust. These slits will allow the steam from the pie to escape.
- Melt 1-1/2 tablespoons of butter and then drizzle it over the top pie crust. Then drizzle 2 tablespoons of sugar over the butter.
- Bake pie at 400’F for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 350’F and bake 30 more minutes. The peach pie is done when the juices escape from the slits in pie crust. Let pie cool completely before serving.
Note: It is a good idea to set a cookie sheet under the pie to prevent the juices from pie from spilling onto your oven.