Friday, March 8, 2024

Family Favorite Pecan Pie Recipe

 

Pecan pie has been one of my families fall favorite desserts. This pie is made with pecans that are mixed into a rich caramel colored filling. This filling is made from eggs sugar, butter, molasses and corn syrup. The pecans and filling is poured into a pie crust.  Then baked to perfection.

 


I used to make pecan pie during the fall season.  Here in Missouri there was an abundant of you pick it pecan orchards and I grew up eating pecan pies during the fall season. So it was only natural that I made the pie when I was older for my family. But instead of using corn syrup I bake my pie with maple syrup. 

The traditional recipe calls for corn syrup. The corn syrup additive was a way to keep the pie from drying out, and it also holds the filling and prevents crystallization during the baking.  But I found that organic maple syrup does the same thing.  Plus, the maple syrup adds sweetness and the dark color to the pie. 

Know that pecan pie is a high calorie high fat dessert.  So if you are going to bake this pie then serve up the slices and plan to take a walk afterwards. A single slice of pecan pie contains 400 calories with 20 grams of fat.  I guess that is why they refer to pecan pie as comfort food. 

So if you are like me and prefer to not make a pecan pie with corn syrup then bake the pie with maple syrup instead.  You will find that it tastes delicious.  I promise you will not miss that corn syrup.  

I found the recipe online here > Bake by Nature  No Corn Syrup pecan pie recipe

 

No comments: